Slavery in modern days

Just finish watching 12 years a slave.
The movie revolve around a man who was kidnapped and sold as a slave in the 18th century. Being a Black naturally being assumed as a slave and with the new given identity he lived as a slave.

One of the scene where one of the girls being drag away might be because of herexcessive sobbing and when she was shouting for help, nobody actually gone towards those guys and stop to ask or help her. All of them just look at it and let them drag her away.

Another scene where Platt aka Solomon was being tied up and hang almost towards the end of his life. Everyone just act like nothing happen with kids playing around in the scene and ladies and gentleman doing their daily chores. One of the girls actually went up to just let him have some water. But no one dare to free him out of that.

Another vivid scene will be Pat being punish for nothing but entertainment and slavery act from the 'owner'. The owner asked Platt to slap her with the cemetti or else all of them will be death by gunshots.

3 scenes different but similar scenarios. Showing how ignorant the people in your surrounding can be. Selfishness and bravery is still a challenge to this society. When one might felt you should be doing it and you at the same time felt they should be doing it and in the end nobody is doing anything.

I like to watch this kind of international screening by myself because normally after the movie I will be thinking alot and silence will be my best friend for that while. As I will be immersing into the scene.

Human trafficking is the modern word for slavery. I remembered when I was in school, I used to be very supportive of all kinds of NGO activities and was at a point where I wanted to go volunteer for tsunami program and quit studies. But parents stopped me from taking this step. As per them, education is very important and if I stopped halfway then i will never pick it up again.

Come to think of it, if i did it that time I might be a very different person with different perspective.

Slavery makes me think of work environment. Company pay you and you work for them. The thing about fairness will be companies are tied down with laws and regulations or else slavery will also be implemented like the industrial revolutionary era. We makes ourselves into slave to the company and yet sometimes it is not enough. And many times company do not appreciate you as what you would like them to understand.

Being an understanding management,  you not only have to manage but also listen to your employees. I'm still very confused of how I can manage fairly. I still wonder whether I can make it or not and whether I made the right choice or not.

Human trafficking, how much did I contribute to it?  Nothing. I did nothing to stop, prevent or help. If i were in the movie, I will be acting like all those ignorant bastards. I will be even worst than the girl that offer water. At least she offered water to the victim. But me, just felt pity and do nothing.

I suddenly thought I earn so much and yet I never contribute to the society. I cannot say that I don't have enough money. I cannot say that I need to save for future.  I cannot say that I need to satisfy my needs. I can only say that I am also one of the ignorant fellows.

Watching this kind of movie makes me think what else can i do? Can i eat less and contribute more? Drink less and contribute more? Or use less and contribute more? I believe I can do that and if others can survive with only having 700bucks for a month. Then the rest that I have is sufficient enough for me to contribute to the society. Lets give it a 6months and see what I can do. Anyone with me? 

Popular Posts