What is PALAPES/ROTU to me?


I still remember when I first saw PALAPES on the big screen in Dewan Canselor. It was something weird and new for me to know that such co-curriculum exist in the University. I was attracted due to I always wanted to join National Service but didn't had the chance. Second was due to I wanted to try something new, challenging and interesting in the campus. I consult my mum about it and she had no objection as long as it doesn't ruin my academic. I decided to join ROTU. 

I still remember the first time I step into Markas ROTU. It was the IQ test day and everyone require wearing formal. I wore a short sleeve shirt and slack pants with my bob cut hair style. I was rather too stylo and interesting for ROTU. Those perverted coach look at me as though they don't believe their eyes. Some of the students thought that I was a China or Korean Student with my fair smooth skin. I, myself was rather excited into knowing my score in IQ test. 



I remember the physical test that I had. I ran 2.4km in less than 12 minutes. It was a record for me. I guessed. I never ran that far in my life other than sport day in school. I thought I couldn't make it, but I did it. The rest was a history. I passed everything including the interview with my previous Chief Instructor (CI). Though I would say I did badly. I still passed.

Then we need to move from our current hostel to the ones they set for us. For my case was from AB hostel to E hostel. That was the hard part. I was starting to feel home with my roommates in AB. Those seniors I had back then was so warm and nice including the first year roommate that I had back then. From my roommates I get to know more about Kelantan and I love ”Singeh”. I miss them.

I moved to E and stayed with Winna plus two seniors. They were not suppose to stay with us but I guessed they have tiny problems with their roommates and hence my life as a ROTU began. The first day we moved into that room, we already get to feel what rocall was. Rocall is a sort of gathering/ meeting to teach you something, make announcement, conduct punishment, checking and also just talking. This had been done since like forever.


I am proud to be a ROTU. I learned so much. I learned how to be patient when everyone else is crazy running here and there. I learned how to listen to orders though I admit I don’t really listen to them. I hate how some orders are simply stupid and yet I need to follow them. I learned how to work by the clock. We always receive orders last minutes and we need to make it done no matter how. I can work last minute better I guessed. I learned the friendship and brotherhood. No matter whom you are and what you are, my ROTU-14 will forever be my family. They make me feel a sense of belonging although I know that there are times that I disappoint them.
ROTU taught me to be perseverance & determination. No matter what I did, I did not leave ROTU because this is my family. I joined lots of activities and events in the university such as being a hostel reps, students council and such but nothing make me feel more homely than ROTU can give me. Being a ROTU makes me think what more can I get in this 3 years ? Normal students might only get friends and best friends but I get my siblings. They will be there when you needed help. I also spent 8 hours for polishing my shoe before. This is something that you need skill to do it. I guessed I am proud to say that I know the proper way in polishing shoe now.



I remember the first ever annual camp I had during ROTU which was during my first year. I was being teamed up with Winna. I was poor in setting up tents and so she helped and I cooked in return. Without her, I think I wont be able to do it properly. I remember during the time when I had a cramp while I was sleeping. I screamed as it was seriously painful. Winna was the one that help me massage. And there were Awira that always give me encouragement when I am down. Asmah, Lola, Alia, Huwaina and the others for being there to remind me of ROTU trainings. Alderica and Wong for being there for me while I needed help the most, no matter physically or mentally.

I also can’t forget my best coach ever which is Staf Sanny. He was the best of all coach that I had. He doesn’t use violent to let you listen to him like he used to do with our seniors but rather he was like a caring father to us. Also not to forget our other coach staf Halim and also staf Azlan. They were the type of person that said they don’t care but actually deep inside they do.

I enjoyed working under the previous CI and also the current CI. Both have different approach and gave me a living example of the type of leader one can be. I also miss my previous captain that already being transferred to Peninsula. He was the one that always gave us advice on being determine and also perseverance in whatever we are doing. Of course our favorite captain now also stand a place. Though sometimes action that he did really piss me off. He is the type of person that will inform you of your mistake after he gave you the punishment. Though he is young but the way he think is different from those same age as him. Maybe due to the experience that he had.

Last but not least, I wanted to said a big thank you to all my coach, my seniors that I get to be so close up till now (even after they graduate) for teaching me a lot, and also my own squad that I am who I am now. I love you and I will never forget all of you. 

Popular Posts